These little snacks need a name, can you help me?
I love making healthy snacks and having them on hand. You can keep these in the fridge they last about 2 weeks (if you don’t demolish them before that!) and they are great for kids, my 1 year old loves them and she enjoys making them too!
- 2 cups soft pitted dates
- 2 cups whole almonds
- 2 tbsp water
- 100gm dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Desiccated coconut for the topping*
*Other topping alternatives include: puffed amaranth, chia seeds, poppy seeds, dip or drizzle in melted chocolate, rose petals or chopped nuts. You can also go with no topping which is a great option as they should have a lovely shinny finish.
- Place the almonds in a food processor and blitz on high until you get a crumbly texture.
- If you need to soften the dates, place them in the microwave for 5 to 10 seconds, make sure they have cooled down before adding them into the food processor. Add the dates and repeat the same process until it starts to come together.
- Repeat again with the chocolates until it all comes together into a mixture.
- Add the vanilla and the water and blitz again, you might need to stop and move it around with a spatula to make sure everything mixes in well as it is a bit sticky.
- Once you have the mixture place it in a big bowl.
- Place the desiccated coconut in another bowl.
- Have a third bowl where you will place the finished balls, so they look nice and you can take a pretty pic!
- Take some of the mixture with your clean hands and start to roll until you have a circle shape. Take care not to roll too much that they become too oily. They should have a nice shinny coat. Roll your ball on top of the coconut then place into the empty bowl.
- Keep rolling until you finish the mixture, aim to make them the size of a ping-pong ball, you should be able to make about 20 balls.
- Place in the fridge for a few hours or overnight.
- Store in an airtight container
I hope you enjoy them, as much as we do. Don’t forget to take a snap and tag me on socials!