NUT FREE RAW PROTEIN BITES
I love making protein snacks, I make them in batches and they last me for about a week or so depending on how many I give away. They are great for pre and post-workout, I always make sure I either have one of these or a smoothie with me to help “silence the beast” as I call it. There is always a moment after working out when hunger just hits you like a ton of bricks and you don’t want to be caught empty handed, if you have experienced this feeling, you know exactly what I mean! These have become my best friends, they are also such a nice treat they motivate me to exercise as well.
Recently I have come across a few people who are allergic to nuts, so I decided to experiment and give these poor buggers an alternative 😉 and guess what? They also taste great!
- 1 cup pitted dates (approx. 150 gm)
- 1 cup sultana, cranberry mix
- 1 cup sunflower, pumpkin seed mix
- ¼ cup organic cocoa nibs
- 2 squares dark chocolate 85%+ chopped
- 50 grams protein powder (I used unflavoured for this version but you can use a flavoured one if you wish)
- 3 tbs of water approx. (this depends, sometimes this is more or less depending how juicy the fruits are, add them one by one and assess the consistency before you add the next one)
- Sesame seeds for the topping
- Place all ingredients except water in food processor
- Mix in a bowl, add the water one tbs at the time as you mix, allow the mixture together (if too dry add more water but be patient) you know it is right when it starts to get a nice shiny colour
- Roll into balls approx. 45 grams
- Spread the sesame seeds on a plate and roll the ball until it is fully covered
- Refrigerate for a couple of hours or overnight